The main museum is closed but please visit our Pop-Up Museum.
Pop-Up Museum: Merchant’s House, 13 High Street, Launceston, PL15 8ER
The main museum is closed at the moment but our pop-up museum is open
Lawrence House is a fine Georgian house built in 1753 and located in a street John Betjeman described as having ‘the most perfect collection of 18th Century townhouses in Cornwall’. It is owned by the National Trust and leased to Launceston Town Council who use it to house the town museum and as a civic centre.
Over fifty volunteer stewards run the front of house helping explorers get the most from their visits and are a font of information about the collection and the history of the town. The beautiful gardens are cared for by a group of ten volunteers who are seen in all weathers pruning and planting.
Behind the scenes there is a twelve-strong operations team who catalogue the objects, create interesting displays, put on exhibitions and care for the collection.